Cardiovascular disease is an umbrella term that includes all diseases of the heart and circulation including coronary heart disease stroke and could also include vascular dementia which is a problem of blood flow in the brain.
In the UK, 1 in 7 men and 1 in 12 women die from coronary heart disease where the arteries become narrower and harder because of the build-up of plaque.
The total annual healthcare cost of cardiovascular disease in the UK is £9 billion
Good dietary and lifestyle advice are important for the prevention of cardiovascular disease and certain nutrients have been shown to be helpful. High levels of homocysteine in the blood have been shown to increase the risk of damaging the lining of the arteries and this can contribute to heart disease and stroke. It is important to have good levels of the three B vitamins, vitamin B6, B12 and folic acid (as the active methyl folate) in order to keep homocysteine in the normal range.
- Vitamin B1 contributes to the normal function of the heart
- Vitamin E contributes to the protection of cells from oxidative stress
- Vitamin B6 can contribute to the reduction of tiredness and fatigue
- Vitamin B12 contributes to normal red blood cell formation
- Garlic contributes to normal circulation
Registered with the Vegan and Vegetarian Societies. Kosher approved. Halal certified.