We all take our health for granted until something goes wrong, then we sit back and shock , horror ask Why me? it is important to take care of all of your body but your heart needs special attention, it is after all our lifeforce.
Here are some facts about Heart disease and what you can do to help lessen your risk.
- Heart disease often starts when we are young but dosent raise its ugly head until after menopause.
- One in two women will die of Heart disease or stroke,
- one in 30 women gets breast cancer which we think is the most common cause of death in women , but one in 6 women dies from cardiovascular disease. and eat a diet
- More women than men get heart disease, bet you didnt think that.
- Fall in Oestrogen takes away our protection from heart disease after menopause.
- Heart disease and stroke is the biggest killer in women over 65.
- Lifestyle can play a big factor
- The signs of heart attack are found later in women than in men.
7 ways to reduce your risk
- Stop smoking
- Reduce your alcohol intake
- Reduce Caffeine intake
- Cut out trans fats found in fast foods and eat a diet rich in Omega 3 fatty acids like oily fish, sardines, mackerel, wild salmon and up your intake of olive oil, coconut oil, nuts and seeds.
- Reduce your waist line keep it under 32 inches as anything over increases your risk of diabetes , keep your weigh down, and get your cholesterol checked.
- Exercise at least 5 times a week raising your heart rate this helps to bring down inflammation markers, but dont overdo it either. Exercise will help to lower blood pressure as well.
- Get your gums checked as Gum disease can raise risk of heart disease.
- Meditate, take time out to just do nothing or take up a restorative exercise like yoga.